The Town of Newton recently received a $950,000 grant award from the North Carolina Department of Commerce to fund revitalization efforts at Central Recreation Center. The award will support renovation projects at one of East Newton’s most cherished spaces for education, recreation, and public gatherings. Central Recreation Center’s history dates back to a one-room school house for Black students that opened in 1899. The existing structures—a gymnasium and several classrooms—opened in 1936 as Central High School. Today, the gymnasium at 301 South Ervin Ave. is operated by the Newton Parks and Recreation Department and remains a hub of activity for young people and seniors. Newton’s award was funded through the Community Development Block Grant Neighborhood Revitalization Program. Newton is grateful to the North Carolina Department of Commerce for its support.